The new report, released earlier this month, gives a dive into the rise of spam calls throughout the year in different parts of the world.
The Year in Calling report has anonymously aggregated data from the app’s most popular features showcasing fun facts like what countries are the most talkative. Truecaller says the 10 billion calls made this year are up fivefold from last year. Over 40-million unique spam numbers were identified by Truecaller users.
In comparison to their 2016 report, Truecaller has added its newest feature, SMS messaging. Launched in April, Truecaller’s SMS app has added an an extra sense of protection from known spammers that plague phones with unnecessary advertisements, scams, or harassment. The unique features of the SMS app filter junk SMS into a separate folder for the user to quickly switch back and forth to view how many spam messages Truecaller identified. Since launch, Truecaller users has sent over 639 million SMS, and has helped its users to identify and block over 3 billion spam SMS.
The report also revealed:
- Somalia is for the second year in a row the country that makes the most calls per person. The average Truecaller Somalian user makes roughly 19 calls per day, and receives 14 calls. In contrast, Argentina doesn’t seem to talk very much on the phone – they slide in last place with their incoming and outgoing calls
- The top tags around the world are banks, doctors, telcos, real estate brokers, and taxis. The tags most popular last year was restaurants and hotels
- The country that sent the most SMS around the world was Tanzania. The average user from Tanzania sends approximately 10 SMSs per day, and receives about 16. Chile sent the least.
- It seems that 2017 was the year of the telcos, because one number in Nigeria, which was connected with a telco, made 38 million calls. In India, another telco made 31 million calls from just one number
- Another telco sent over 53 million spam SMSs to their customers in India
Throughout the year, Truecaller has been releasing Truecaller Insights data reports which dive into various statistics of spam call patterns like Top Countries Affected by Spam Calls, e-commerce competition, banking, and other insights.
* To read the full report, visit: https://blog.truecaller.com/2017/12/12/a-year-in-calling-how-the-world-communicated-using-truecaller-in-2017/